Her list is simple, and yet profound. I urge you to read it, believe it, print it, and refer to it regularly.
Here is a paraphrased list of Angela's 12 Things Kids Want from Their Teachers:
- Greet me each day, and smile!
- Give me your attention - ask about me - notice me.
- Imagine with me; help me dream of things I might be able to do; not just the things I need to do now.
- Engage me...I came to you in love with learning, keep me excited, keep me wanting more.
- Give me challenging content and assignments - show me how to handle it. Teach me what to do.
- Let me have time...time to let things sink in. Time to think. Time to reflect, process, and play.
- Demand of me - hold me accountable to high standards. Don’t let me get away with what you know I am capable of doing better.
- Trust me - believe that I can do it. Allow me the chance. I promise to show you I can.